Insulin resistance effects more people than you think. In fact, obesity and insulin resistance are closely connected. This is a summary of a well-rounded video by the respected lipidologist, Dr.Tara Dall.
Synopsis and Key points:
Metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance and prediabetes are the same thing.
- This video is a great explanation of how insulin should work. After a meal, insulin is secreted by pancreas in response to high blood sugars in the blood stream and brings the blood sugar level back to normal.
- With metabolic syndrome, the cells are resistance to insulin so the pancreas secrete more insulin to bring the blood sugar levels back to normal
- The mechanism of action of insulin is to bring glucose transporters located inside the cells to the surface. This is the way glucose enters the cells.
Insulin is a very inflammatory protein and causes weight gain especially around the belly.
- Dr.Dall states that if you exercise 60 to 90 minutes a day you can overcome insulin resistance
- If the pancreas secretes too much insulin, your blood sugar drops and you crave simple carbohydrates such as white bread and processed foods
A low sugar and reduced carb diet is more beneficial for insulin resistance. The key point is that you want a reduced carbohydrate diet not a no or very low carbohydrate diet.
Once insulin resistance is corrected people start to lose weight.
Dr. Dall is a renowned lipidologist. She has deep knowledge in cardiac primary prevention and is a diplomate of the American Board of Clinical Lipidology. She is considered an expert on advanced lipoprotein testing and especially the role it plays in early detection of insulin resistance and cardiovascular risk. She has lectures to numerous physicians on lipidology and cardiometabolic disease.You can learn more about her work on her website, http://www.taradall.com
This video is from a presentation she gave to GE employees and was found on YouTube.